Concourse B makes its debut at the Salt Lake City International Airport
Salt Lake City— Shortly after midnight the second act opened at The New SLC with the debut of Concourse B. As of midnight, aircraft were no longer loading and unloading passengers in the former airport concourses C, F, and G. All airlines serving SLC are now operating out of entirely new facilities.
Concourse B opened this morning with a total of 21 gates to house Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest and United. Six weeks ago on Sept. 15, the majority of The New SLC opened to rave reviews. Delta Air Lines currently occupies the 25 gates in Concourse
A-west, including six international gates.
“Today is like icing on the cake,” said Bill Wyatt, Salt Lake Department of Airports, executive director. “It’s been six weeks since the successful opening of The New SLC and today we welcome all of our airline partners to their new home in Concourse B, which completes Phase I of the project,” Wyatt added.
Concourse B will initially include three new restaurants (Gourmandise: Euro Diner and Bakery, Uinta Brewing Company, Wasatch Brew Pub) and five new shops (@ease, InMotion, Liberty Park Market, Hip & Humble, Maverik, The Salt Lake Tribune). Additional restaurants and shops will follow as passenger numbers increase, including Pick Up Stix, Smashburger, Briggs & Riley, Utah! and XpresSpa.
A 990-ft. long tunnel—originally built in 2004—connects concourses A and B. Passengers will be delighted to see the four seasons of Utah represented as they make their way through the tunnel. Salt Lake City-based artist Tracy O’Very Covey painted summer and fall, while Texas-based artist Daas painted winter and spring.
Additional facts about Concourse B:
- Contractor for Concourse B is Austin-Okland Joint Venture (AOJV)
- The 21 gates have been allocated as follows: Alaska-1, American-2, Delta-7, Frontier-1, JetBlue-1, Southwest-4, and United-2. In addition, there are three common use—or city gates—that will be used by various airlines as needed.
- Gates B21 and B24 will serve as access points to a hard-stand operation for primarily regional aircraft.
- Electronic plug-ins are available at each seat in the gate area.
- Aircraft gates that employ the SAFEGATE Aircraft Docking System to provide pilots active guidance to support safe, efficient and precise automated aircraft parking during all operating conditions.
- Eight restrooms (seven with private lactation rooms) with deep bathroom stalls and unique Whimsy Wall artwork. Passengers are never more than 150 feet away from the next restroom facility.
- Ability to add 8 gates in a second phase, and 15 gates in a third phase.
With Phase I of The New SLC complete, demolition is underway on the previous airport structure to begin building the next phase. Phase II includes the build out of Concourse A to the east and construction of the concrete portion of a permanent tunnel to transport passengers between concourses A and B. This is expected to be completed by late 2024. For more information on phasing, go to Demolition Timeline under https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/construction-updates/