Cricut, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Financial Results
Delivered 6th consecutive year of profitability with net income of $60.7 million, or 6.8% margin
Generated $117.7 million in Cash from Operations in 2022
Total users grew to nearly 7.9 million, up 23% over FY 2021
Paid subscribers increased to 2.6 million, up 28% over FY 2021
Delivered FY 2022 revenue of $886.3 million, 32% decline compared to a strong FY 2021
74% of total users cut on their Connected Machine in 2022
Cricut, Inc. (“Cricut”) (NASDAQ: CRCT), the creative technology company that has brought a connected platform for making to millions of users worldwide, today announced financial results for its fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2022.
“We entered 2022 expecting to deliver much better financial results. Our results reflect the challenging macroeconomic conditions throughout the year and pressure from excess channel inventory that impacted revenue from Connected Machines and Accessories and Materials. Despite this, we ended the year with healthy growth in new users and paid subscribers,” said Ashish Arora, Chief Executive Officer of Cricut. “Nearly three quarters of our user base cut a project in 2022, highlighting the value we bring to the Cricut community and the significant opportunity we have to drive increased engagement. We benefit from a healthy pipeline of potential users, a strong existing user base, a platform approach and strong balance sheet. We’ll continue to focus on new user acquisition and increased engagement and monetization, which will position us well for when consumer spend returns.”
Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial Results
- Revenue was $280.8 million compared to $387.8 million in Q4 2021.
- Connected machine revenue was $102.3 million compared to $158.1 million in Q4 2021.
- Subscriptions revenue was $71.1 million up from to $55.7 million in Q4 2021.
- Accessories and materials revenue was $107.3 million compared to $174.0 million in Q4 2021.
- Gross margin was 29.8%, compared to 27.0% in Q4 2021.
- Operating income was $11.1 million, or 4.0% of total revenue, compared to $25.8 million, or 6.7% of revenue in Q4 2021.
- Net income was $10.9 million or 3.9% of revenue, compared to $11.9 million or 3.1% of revenue in Q4 2021.
- Diluted earnings per share was flat year over year at $0.05.
- International revenue decreased by 3% over Q4 2021 and was 19% of total revenue, up from 14% of total revenue in Q4 2021.
Full Year 2022 Financial Results
- Revenue was $886.3 million compared to $1.3 billion in FY 2021.
- Connected machine revenue was $252.6 million compared to $548.2 million in FY 2021.
- Subscriptions revenue was $272.3 million, up from $205.9 million in FY 2021.
- Accessories and materials revenue was $361.4 million, compared to $552.2 million in FY 2021.
- Gross margin was 39.5%, up from 35.0% in FY 2021.
- Operating income was $80.0 million, or 9.0% of total revenue, compared to $192.4 million, or 14.7% of revenue in FY 2021.
- Net income was $60.7 million, or 6.8% of revenue, compared to $140.5 million, or 10.8% of revenue in FY 2021.
- Diluted earnings per share was $0.28 compared to $0.64 in FY 2021.
- International revenue was $142.3 million, or 16% of total revenue, compared to $148.5 million or 11% of total revenue in FY 2021.
- Generated $117.7 million in cash from operations.
“Despite macro conditions throughout 2022, we continued to operate with rigor and discipline, generating healthy cash flows and delivering our sixth year of net income profitability. We eliminated $50 million of planned spend and investments throughout 2022 and held operating expenses relatively flat year over year,” said Kimball Shill, Chief Financial Officer of Cricut. “We also entered 2023 with healthier channel inventory levels, which more directly links Connected Machine revenue to consumer demand. We will continue to take a conservative planning approach in 2023, while managing for small, incremental operating margin improvement and healthy cash flow. We have a proven model with significant opportunity to drive incremental margin expansion over the long-term.”
2022 Business Highlights
- Growth in total user base and engagement
- Total user base grew to nearly 7.9 million, or 23% over 2021. Growth in our top 6 markets indicate 6% market penetration of our serviceable addressable market, up from 3% two years ago.
- Paid subscribers grew to 2.6 million, up 28% over 2021. Attach rates increased to 33% compared to 32% in 2021 as a result of recent investments including the launch of new features and content, enhanced functionality and improved merchandising touchpoints within the Cricut engagement journey and also benefited from stronger Q4 2021 connected machine sales and subsequent new user adds.
- 74% of total users cut on their connected machines in 2022. Ended 2022 with nearly 4.1 million engaged users, up 6% over 2021. In Q4 2022, 51% of total users cut on the Cricut platform over the past 90 days.
- Increased number of user interactions on Design Space, ending the year with over 150 million total bookmarks, with nearly 30 million bookmarks added in Q4 2022, making it easier for users to save ideas for later use.
- Strong social community with 6.1 million social media followers and 8.5 billion views on top 5 Cricut hashtags: #cricut, #cricutprojects, #cricuthacks, #cricutmaker, and #cricutmade.
- Added new and improved features and functionality to the platform
- Added exclusive features available only to Cricut Access subscribers, including Automatic Background Remover, Monogram Maker, Editable Images and expanded content collections.
- Launched Contributing Artist Program in early 2022, a content marketplace where artists can build a community of followers within Design Space. This program accelerates initiatives to bring new, relevant, and diverse content to the platform. Images from Contributing Artists are included in Cricut Access subscription services, while also available for stand-alone purchase within Design Space.
- Broadened user base and diverse demographics
- Nearly 50% of new users identify as a beginner crafter — almost double the rate of 2019. The Cricut brand is also attracting a younger demographic, adding more Gen Z and millennials.
- Launched in five new markets and partnered with a large network of distributors in over 50 countries. Launches included India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Turkey.
- Added localized versions of Design Space in nine new languages.
Key Performance Metrics
|As of December 31,|
|Users (in thousands)||7,893||6,409|
|Percentage of Users Creating in Trailing 90 Days||51||%||60||%|
|Paid Subscribers (in thousands)||2,609||2,037|
|Three Months Ended December 31,||Twelve Months Ended December 31,|
|Accessories and Materials ARPU||$||13.99||$||28.66||$||50.54||$||102.91|
Webcast and Conference Call Information
Cricut management will host a conference call and webcast to discuss the results today, Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. Mountain Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time). Information about Cricut’s financial results, including a link to the live and archived webcast of the conference call, will be made available on Cricut’s investor relations website at https://investor.cricut.com/.
The live call may also be accessed via telephone. Please pre-register using this link: https://register.vevent.com/register/BI44dadb41e09f41a1a1167f727ff7f466. After registering, a confirmation will be sent via email and will include dial-in details and a unique PIN code for entry to the call. To avoid long wait times, we suggest registering at minimum 15 minutes before the start of the call to receive your unique PIN code.
About Cricut, Inc.
Cricut, Inc. is a creative technology platform company whose cutting machines and design software help people lead creative lives. Cricut hardware and software work together as a connected platform for consumers to make beautiful, high-quality DIY projects quickly and easily. These industry-leading products include a flagship line of smart cutting machines — the Cricut Maker® family, the Cricut Explore® family, and Cricut Joy® — accompanied by other unique tools like Cricut EasyPress®, the Infusible Ink™ system, and a diverse collection of materials. In addition to providing tools and materials, Cricut fosters a thriving community of millions of dedicated users worldwide.
Cricut has used, and intends to continue using, its investor relations website and the Cricut News Blog (https://cricut.com/blog/news/) to disclose material non-public information and to comply with its disclosure obligations under Regulation FD. Accordingly, you should monitor our investor relations website and the Cricut News Blog in addition to following our press releases, SEC filings and public conference calls and webcasts.