CEO of the Year
On the Go
The One Who Got Away
Does a Body Good
Pride of Ownership
On the Same Page
What Does it Take to be a Great Leader?
An Economy of Opportunity
Corporate Meetings and Retreats
Southern Utah Regional Report
Travel & Tourism
Salt Lake Valley
“We now actually have a business that is sustainable and can carry its own future,” he says.
“Is it under pressure? Yes. Are we being efficient? Like you’ve never been in your life in that core business.”
“But we think we have answered a job to be done. We have a cost structure to do it and that can actually sustain itself. And that unfortunately is something most newspapers haven’t done,” Gilbert says.
Has your industry been disrupted? Try “Two Routes to Resilience”**
Transformation A: Reposition the Legacy Business or find the strongest competitive advantage your current model can sustain in the disrupted market.
Transformation B: Building the Future or embracing the possibilities of the new marketplace as energetically as the disruptors do.
Generate full value through a capabilities exchange:
1) Establish leadership,
2) Identify the resources the two organizations can or need to share,
3) Create exchange teams,
4) Protect the boundaries, and
5) Scale up and promote the new business.
**Source: Harvard Business Review article, December 2012, authors: Clark Gilbert, Mathew Eyring and Richard N. Foster
A big key in transformation B is that the disrupting organization must run in a separate organization than the legacy business with different leadership, different resources and a different P&L.
Want More Information?
Try these books from Clayton Christensen
• The Innovator’s Dilemma (1997)
• The Innovators Solution (2003)
• The Innovators DNA (2011)
How the Deseret News has transformed into a worldwide information business
• Strategically identified its area of content expertise, an area in which it can compete in the world market.
• Launched a national print edition of the Deseret News with content that appeals to people of many different faiths.
• Syndicated content in area of expertise with more than 400 news organizations across the United States.
• Developed websites to extend its reach, including OK.com, familia.com.br (family.com in many different countries), Utah.com and saltlake.com.